Launching the Computer Science Revolution in Connecticut
The Computer Science for Connecticut (CS4CT) Summit brings together K-12 educators from across the state to promote and advance computer science education. The summit is designed to empower school districts across the state with resources and strategies to bolster CS education across all grade levels. A core focus of the summit is to promote equity in computing, such that all students across our state have access to high-quality CS education.
The Summit is for current CS teachers and any educator across K-12 interested in introducing new CS topics or coursework into your curriculum at any grade level.
Join us to improve K-12 Computer Science Education within your classroom, school, or district. Learn from national and state leaders how K-12 Computer Science Education is being advanced within the state and nationwide.
- Identify CS curriculum that can be taught at your school for every grade level
- Learn successful strategies other districts and schools have taken to teach CS
- Learn successful strategies for increasing participation of under-represented minorities and females into CS coursework
- Improve your knowledge of CS resources
- Network with CS educators and advocates across the state
- Learn about efforts underway by the CT State Department of Education to promote CS education across K-12
|7:15 – 8:00||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:00 – 8:15||Welcome Seth Freeman, ECEP-CT / Chinma Uche, CTCSTA
Opening Remarks – Dianna R. Wentzell, Commissioner of Education
|8:15 – 9:05||Panel – Reaching All Students with Computer Science
Leigh Ann DeLyser (CSforAll), Ralph Morelli (Mobile Computer Science Principles),
Brenda Wilkerson (Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology), Pat Yongpradit (Code.org)
|9:05 – 9:50||Panel – Keeping Connecticut Competitive in the 21st Century
Scott Burghoff (CGI), Bruce Carlson (Connecticut Technology Council),
Nancy Davis (United Technology Corporation [retired]), Estela Lopez (CT State Board of Education),
Jim Mersfelder (Le Pecq) moderator
|10:10 – 10:35||Computer Science in CT: A State Perspective
Jennifer Michalek (CT State Department of Education)
|10:35 – 10:55||Broadening Participation in Computing in your Classroom/District|
|11:00 – 11:45||K-12 CS Curriculum Round Robin
Walk the CS4CT Summit to view tabletop demonstrations of K-12 CS curricular resources to use in your classroom. Curricular resources to be showcased include:
Arduino Bloxels Bluebot Breakout Edu Code & Go Robot Mouse CS First
CS Unplugged Cubelets Cubetto Dash/Dot Exploring Computer Science Lego EV3 Finch Kibo Makey Makey mBot Microbit Osmo Coding Ozobot Processing Scratch Sphero VEX
|11:50 – 12:40||Lunch|
|12:45 – 2:10||Breakout Session I
|2:25 – 2:55||Breakout Session II
|3:10 – 4:05||Breakout Session III
|4:15 – 4:30||Closing Activity|
|4:30 – 5:30||Cocktail Hour|
Please note session items and times above may be subject to change.
The registration fee for CS4CT Summit 2018 is $150 per person. Scholarships are available.
To register for the CS4CT Summit Go to the Registration Page.
For attendees wishing to pay by check or purchase order, select the Bill Me option. Checks should be made payable to the Computer Science Teachers Association and mailed to:
Computer Science Teachers Association
230 Washington Avenue
Extension Suite 101
Albany, NY 12203
Click here for CS4CT Summit 2018 Policies.
|Silver Sponsor||Bronze Sponsor|
- Seth Freeman, email@example.com CS4CT Summit General Chair
- Betsy Dillard, firstname.lastname@example.org Program Chair
- Patrice Gans, email@example.com Recruitment Chair
- Clint Kennedy KennedyC@newlondon.org Administrative Advisor
- Aline Nichols, firstname.lastname@example.org Publicity Chair
- Pauline Lake, email@example.com Vice President, CTCSTA
- Heather Sutkowski, firstname.lastname@example.org Vendor Chair
- Norman Sondheimer, email@example.com Sponsorship Chair
- Dr. Chinma Uche, firstname.lastname@example.org Keynote Chair, President, CTCSTA
- Jim Veseskis, email@example.com Local Arrangements Chair
- Kristin Violette, firstname.lastname@example.org Events Chair